Sunday, January 17, 2010

An e-mail from Haiti, then minutes later, a nightmare

Last Tuesday, from his room at the Hotel Montana near Port-au-Prince, Haiti, U.S. Air Force Maj. Ken Bourland sent an e-mail to his wife telling her that he was fine and had just settled in for what was going to be an exciting time taking a disaster preparedness course.It was 4:51 p.m. ET.Less than 10 minutes later, an earthquake leveled much of the Haitian capital, including the Hotel Montana."I had just clicked off the e-mail and was trying to find some cartoons for the kids to watch," she said. "And then I saw this breaking news. An earthquake. I thought, 'Did California get hit again?' Then I saw Haiti."

This is terrible. It is hard to imagine how hard it is to loose a beloved spouse, especially in a freak accident like an earthquake in Haiti, but at least there is some hope for this poor women. It is highly ironic in my opinion that she had been emailing him while he was in haiti and then just like that he is gone. I mean what are the odds that while your out of the country for a week there is an earthquake in the country that your in. It doesnt even make sense. Oh well that is how life goes. My heart goes out to their family and everyone affected in the Haiti earthquake.

No comments:

Post a Comment